First Contact Physiotherapy

If you are 16 years or over, and have a musculoskeletal issue, such as a bad back or neck or joint pain, you can request to see a physiotherapist through your GP surgery. The physiotherapist will assess you and decide on the most appropriate action to take. This could include self-management advice and, if needed, they can refer you on to the most appropriate service.
This means that you do not need to see your GP first, you can book straight in with a PCN First Contact Physiotherapist.

How do I access First Contact Physiotherapy?

You can self refer into First Contact Physiotherapy through your local practice. You can complete a request online through your local practice website.

Information on managing pain from The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy

The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy website has information and guidance for managing your pain and improving your quality of life. These include specific exercises you can do at home along with links to further support for important factors that are known to contribute to pain, such as mental health and work.

These musculoskeletal self-management resources are supported by NHS England and NHS Improvement as part of the MSK leadership group which also includes The British Orthopaedic Association (BOA), The British Society for Rheumatology (BSR), The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP), Versus Arthritis and the Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Alliance (ARMA). Please click the following link to access these resources.

Managing your bone, joint or muscle pain | The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (